LONG LIVE THE DM4800/3200 ! A useful Poll for Computer Models,Operating Systems,DAW & Firmware used with Tascam DM4800/DM3200

MarkGl

Gear owned
interested in DM4800
Hey folks, I was trying to gather some information in the interests of keeping my beautiful Tascam 4800 running.
I know this is a common interest.
I am currently using a 27" 2009 imac with High Sierra and Logic. The mac is getting very long in the tooth now.
What are you folks using? I m sure this could be a useful thread.
Trying to work out the latest useable tech is very time consuming, so if you come across this post please leave some data for everyone to reference.
Forgive me if a similar thread exists already, I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mixerizer
I use an older 2015 Mac mini with High Sierra for my DM-4800 era stuff - TMCompanion, Rockum’s DMote controller, etc.

However, it isn’t my DAW Mac as I don’t use my DM with FireWire - the latency was too slow to route external plugin effect returns back through the board without timing problems. My DM is loaded w 4 AES cards and TDIF to AES conversion and I run all the audio to and from the board and my recording DAW thru various MOTU interfaces, which can each host a DAW.

My main DAW runs on a modern Mac (intel though). I have a few other DAWs sync’ed up at various places in the studio to help w recording and writing. In addition, I have a Tascam x-48 I love to use for hard disk recording - and it is set up in parallel to a Logic instance running on a second Mac Mini with Catalina, that works as a 1:1 safety and editing platform.

Reactions: MarkGl
in 2022 I built an intel i9 12900KS P and E running at 5.2GHz and 4.0GHz respectively rack PC with HD touchscreen front panel 64GB ram No GPU. Samsung 980 and 990 Pro M.2. 2TB and 1TB drives.
I run a 34 inch monitor and the touch screen with the CPU. I put in a firewire interface and I'm using Windows 10 latest version with legacy driver for 1394 OHCI.
The mixer is the DM-3200 with firmware 1.72b4 I have the IF-AN/DM card in slot 2 and the IF-FW'DM Mk II firewire card in slot 1
I also replaced the LCD with the one from the UK Blue version and I also have the 2SEEMY mod kit installed for use with external VGA monitor. Everything works great!

I have a 2014 Mac mini running high sierra (10.13) that is usb connected to my 4800 to run TM Companion. I have another mini just like it that I could swap in if the current one fails.
Iirc there is a thread in the forum where someone describes a way to manually manipulate a later Intel Mac to work (don’t remember the exact details).

Reactions: MarkGl
Thanks folks, so there is hope then! MrM If I find that thread I will post a link here.
What is the latest imac anyone has running?
Keep the info coming folks.. I have a feeling this will be very useful for the forum later on.

Gonna try and get the DM4800 working with MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 Monterey and maybe LUNA or HARRISON MIXBUS. Having trouble locating the required Thunderbolt to Firewire cable though.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.